He found himself in the neighborhood of the asteroids 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, and 330.
在附近的宇宙中,还有 325、326、327、328、329、330 等几颗小行星。
He began, therefore, by visiting them, in order to add to his knowledge.
他就开始访问这几颗星球,想在那里找点事干,并且学习学习。
The first of them was inhabited by a king.
第一颗星球上住着一个国王。
Clad in royal purple and ermine,he was seated upon a throne which was at the same time both simple and majestic.
国王穿着用紫红色和白底黑花的毛皮做成的大礼服,坐在一个很简单却又十分威严的宝座上。
"Ah! Here is a subject," exclaimed the king, when he saw the little prince coming.
当他看见小王子时,喊了起来:“啊,来了一个臣民。”
And the little prince asked himself: "How could he recognize me when he had never seen me before?"
小王子思量着:“他从来也没有见过我,怎么会认识我呢?”
He did not know how the world is simplified for kings. To them, all men are subjects.
他哪里知道,在那些国王的眼里,世界是非常简单的:所有的人都是臣民。
"Approach, so that I may see you better," said the king, who felt consumingly proud of being at last a king over somebody.
国王十分骄傲,因为他终于成了某个人的国王,他对小王子说道:“靠近些,好让我好好看看你。”
The little prince looked everywhere to find a place to sit down;
小王子看看四周,想找个地方坐下来,
but the entire planet was crammed and obstructed by the king's magnificent ermine robe.
可是整个星球被国王华丽的白底黑花皮袍占满了。
So he remained standing upright, and, since he was tired, he yawned.
他只好站在那里,但是因为疲倦了,他打起哈欠来。
"It is contrary to etiquette to yawn in the presence of a king," the monarch said to him. "I forbid you to do so."
君王对他说:“在一个国王面前打哈欠是违反礼节的。我禁止你打哈欠。”
"I can't help it. I can't stop myself," replied the little prince, thoroughly embarrassed.
小王子羞愧地说道:“我实在忍不住,”
I have come on a long journey, and I have had no sleep...
我长途跋涉来到这里,还没有睡觉呢。
"Ah, then," the king said. "I order you to yawn.
国王说:“那好吧,我命令你打哈欠。
It is years since I have seen anyone yawning.
好些年来我没有看见过任何人打哈欠。
Yawns, to me, are objects of curiosity.
对我来说,打哈欠倒是新奇的事。
Come, now! Yawn again! It is an order.
来吧,再打个哈欠!这是命令。
|